[Board] Banking

Nathan Walp faceprint at faceprint.com
Fri Nov 3 16:30:59 EST 2006

Sean Egan wrote:
> After we all agreed to open an account at Bank of America, I
> discovered that it is next to impossible to open an account in
> Washington state. Washington requires that I have a license to
> practice business in Washington, which isn't something we wanted to
> have to deal with.
>
> The lawyers called BoA and found out I could open an account over the
> phone in Delaware and than access it from Washington. However, it
> turned out that DE is one of the few states that we can't open an
> account over the phone in.
>
> I looked at every national bank in Seattle, and not one of them had
> branches in Delaware.
>
> The lawyers said it was ok to get an account anywhere, so I asked
> Ethan to see if we could get an account in Indiana without a license.
> He went to CharterOne this morning, equipped with our incorporation
> papers and EIN (like a social security number for corporations), and
> determined it is possible to get an account.
>
> Since we need to start paying people real soon, I propose we open an
> account in Indiana as soon as possible, and nominate Ethan as our new
> treasurer. Any nay's?

I'd rather see us use a bank that is in more than 4 states, or at least
in states that more than one of us live in.  I use Wachovia, but that
seems to be just the east-coast states plus Texas.

Can Ethan open a BoA account from Indiana?  If not, I can at least try
to open one in Virginia (or hell, I can pretty easily try Tennesee or
North Caronlina from here as well).

-Nathan