[Board] Three issues to vote on

Luke Schierer lschiere at users.sf.net
Tue Nov 28 10:12:40 EST 2006

Executive summary:  All 3 proposals reached a quarum of at least 4
directors.  No proposal was voted against, all passed.

Details:

> Credit Card Processing Proposal
>
> This proposal is submitted for a vote to the board of directors of
> Instant Messaging Freedom, Inc.
>
> Abstract
>
> Article II of the by-laws of Instant Messaging Freedom, Inc., lists as
> on of the corporation's purposes:
>
> To solicit, collect and otherwise raise money and to expend such funds
> in furtherance of the goals and activities of the Corporation;
>
> To facilitate this goal, it is proposed that Instant Messaging
> Freedom, Inc. accept donations on its webpage, http://pidgin.im, by
> opening an account with Pinnacle Processing Group in Seattle, WA.
>
> Proposal
>
> I have been assured that the rates we've been offered are unspeakably
> competitive; they are being offered pretty much at-cost. In addition
> to unavoidable Visa and Mastercard fees, each transaction will cost
> $0.10 plus .05%.
>
> Additionally, there is a $10 monthly fee and an additional $5 minimum
> (if the processing company doesn't make $5 off the monthly
> per-transaction fees, they bill us up to that).
>
> Alternatives
>
> The $10-$15 monthly fee may be problematic to this plan; the low rates
> may be irrelevant if we do not have enough volume in transactions to
> cover the monthly minimum fees.
>
> Other serivces, notably PayPal and Google Checkouts, do not have
> minimum fees and have users donate through their own sites (on PayPal,
> at least, you can upgrade to have the donation page on pidgin.im, for
> a $20/mo fee). These services impose higher per-transaction fees.
>
> I propose that, since we're likely to generate a large volume of
> donations in our first few months, before tapering down, and the
> cancellation fee with Pinnacle Processing Group is waived, that we
> take advantage of the lower per-transaction fees for as long as it is
> cost-feasible, by opening an account with Pinnacle Processing Group.

Sean, Ethan, Nathan, and I voted Yes on this proposal.  Evans vote was
unclear, but appears to be Yes.  Mark's vote was 2 hours after close of
polls, but before I officially counted.  His vote was also Yes.

This proposal reached quarum, and passed.

> Incidental Expenses Proposal
>
> This proposal is submitted for a vote to the board of directors of
> Instant Messaging Freedom, Inc.
>
> Abstract
>
> Orders and resolutions of the board often result in incidental
> expenses unforseen in the original proposal, including office supplies
> such as envelopes and postage. It is proposed that officers be duly
> authorized to charge such expenses to the Corporation.
>
> Proposal
>
> The board shall authorize incidental expenses not to exceed $20 to be
> charged as needed by officers of the corporation to enact orders and
> resolutions of the board of directors. These incidental charges shall
> include office supplies such as paper, envelopes, and postage.
> Directors who make such charges are required to report their charges
> to the Treasurer, who will record the expense and reimburse the
> officer as appropriate.

This proposal was ammended.  The ammended version shall be addressed
below.  The unammended version did not reach quarum.

> Adium Proposal
>
> This proposal is submitted for a vote to the board of directors of
> Instant Messaging Freedom, Inc.
>
> Abstract
>
> As stated in Article II of the corporation's by-laws, it is the
> purpose of Instant Messaging Freedom, Inc. to foster and promote the
> development of free and open-source software.
>
> Adium X is widely considered the best free IM client for OS X, and
> they are a major contributor to Gaim. As Adium would benefit from
> organization under Instant Messaging Freedom, Inc., that its lead
> developer is on our board of directors, and that Adium is already
> using the corporation's tax exempt status, it is proposed that they be
> invited to join.
>
> Proposal
>
> We shall invite Adium to become a project of Instant Messaging
> Freedom, Inc. If they accept, they shall be able to use the
> corporation as needed for the following reasons (and others):
> - Instant Messaging Freedom, Inc. will be able to raise funds for
> Adium. A fund will be created, devoted to Adium. Money raised on the
> Adium webpage will be deposited to this fund, and those funds will be
> used solely to promote Adium development
> - Instant Messaging Freedom, Inc. will be the legal entity responsible
> for Adium development, providing limited liability for Adium
> developers
>
> Apart from fiscal matters, the day-to-day operations of Adium
> development will not be affected by this change. That control will
> remain in the hands of the current Adium developers.

Sean, Ethan, Nathan, Evan, and I voted Yes on this proposal.  Mark voted
2 hours after close of polls, but before I officially counted.  He also
voted yes.

This proposal reached quarum and passed.

The ammended budgeting proposal is as follows:

> Incidental Expenses Proposal
>
> This proposal is submitted for a vote to the board of directors of
> Instant Messaging Freedom, Inc.
>
> Abstract
>
> Orders and resolutions of the board often result in incidental
> expenses unforseen in the original proposal, including office supplies
> such as envelopes and postage. It is proposed that officers be duly
> authorized to charge such expenses to the Corporation.
>
> Proposal
>
> The board shall authorize incidental expenses not to exceed $20 to be
> charged as needed by officers of the corporation to enact orders and
> resolutions of the board of directors. These incidental charges shall
> include office supplies such as paper, envelopes, and postage.
> Directors who make such charges are required to report their charges
> to the Treasurer, who will record the expense and reimburse the
> officer as appropriate.
>
> Financial fees of unknown or unspecified amounts incurred through
> board-approved transactions at financial institutions with which the
> Corporation has a partnership are to be considered approved at the
> time of the approval of the transaction, providing that the financial
> fees do not exceed $50 or 5% of the transaction cost, whichever is
> lesser.  Financial fees exceeding this limit must be approved by the
> board of directors before the transaction can be executed.

Sean, Ethan, Nathan, and I voted yes on this proposal.  Evan's vote was
unclear, but I believe it to be a Yes.  Mark voted 2 hours after close
of polls but before I officially counted.  He also voted yes.

This proposal reached quarum, and passed.

luke