Cross-project collaboration project

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 16:29:06 EST 2007

Youness Alaoui e-mailed devel at pidgin.im last week. He was looking for
support to start a project on freedesktop.org called OpenIM. This
would be a cross-team effort to communicate and document various IM
protocols and other related topics, like Adium's Message Styles,
currently supported by a bunch of clients, or standardizing smiley
themes and the sort. After some discussion, we decided that IM Freedom
would be a more appropriate organization to host this.

This would require little resources from IM Freedom, Inc. We would
host a wiki (or something similar) as http://imfreedom.org for us to
work on documentation. We'd also host a few more mailing lists (I
suspect oscar-devel@ msn-devel@, etc.). I don't see any of these
things having a significant impact on our resources. IM Freedom would
also take liability for all the documentation, to protect individual
contributors if we get accused of revealing trade secrets or
something.

I believe our rules say that all issues should be brought up for
debate on e-mail one week before a vote, so please discuss away.

-s.