REMINDER: Board meeting one week from today

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Tue May 8 21:31:21 EDT 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 09:01:24PM -0400, Luke Schierer wrote:
> > > I propose that a budget for a second, non-virtual server be discussed.
> >
> > If we want to discuss this, please prepare some prices and budgetary
> > needs ahead of time, so we know what we are talking about ... some of
> > us (like me) have no idea.  And also I have the money, and I'm a
> > pinchpenny, so keep that in mind.  ;-)
> >
> > Is there a particular reason we want a non-virtual server, as opposed
> > to, say, a second virtual server?
> >
> > Ethan
>
> I will attempt to get prices both ways.  A non-virtual server is less
> fragile, it cannot be taken down by its host server going down.
>
> luke

For reference, http://www.serverbeach.com/servers/index.php?category=1
is what server beach would charge for various dedicated servers. Caveat,
all of these have bandwidth limits with charges if we go over.  Further
Caveat, I used to work there.

Rackspace is way expensive, they are charging mostly for their support.

Myriad, run by the person whose renting out a couple of U to
twocrazyguys.net, has pricing on virtual servers. They also have
bandwidth restrictions.  I can probably get a discount there, but not
alot of one.
http://www.myriadnetwork.com/services/vds.php

luke