State of Things

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Thu Dec 1 05:49:16 EST 2022

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 8:06 PM John Bailey <rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 4:27 AM Peter Lawler <relwalretep at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Are we preserved with Internet Archive? Or am I missing something
> > here. Haven't directly checked, time over effort etc.
>
> This is a good question.  A quick look shows they have
> (https://web.archive.org/web/20211107012538/https://lists.pidgin.im/pipermail/devel/
> for example), but it might be somewhat out of date.  I think Gary's
> main concern was preserving the links as much as possible, because who
> knows how many links there are to lists.pidgin.im or
> lists.imfreedom.org or whatever.  It's trivial to amass hundreds or
> thousands of links that might have some historical value but are
> easily broken because of a migration like this.

Precisely. If we didn't want to host it ourselves, which is trivial
since we now know it's static HTML, we could at least redirect to
archive.org from the original domains rather than requiring everyone
to know to look on archive.org. That said, it feels like we're just
dumping traffic we can afford onto another organization, which I'd
feel better about if we were donating to them to help offset said
cost.

> John

Thanks,

--