State of Things

Richard Laager rlaager at pidgin.im
Tue Nov 22 20:02:09 EST 2022

On 11/22/22 18:18, Gary Kramlich wrote:
> Next up.. Email... So you may have noticed, absolutely nothing has
> happened with the email. The reason for that is that I came to you all
> with a plan, and I never really got signoff either way. In fact, I
> even got doubts and suggestions to look at other services that have
> only been recommended to people.

I looked back at that thread. My read was and is that there was a
general consensus that it was fine to migrate to self-hosted Discourse.

As for what to do past that point...

As I understand it, we are looking for relaying for e.g. ReviewBoard,
forwarding for e.g. president at imfreedom.org, maybe forwarding for other
accounts e.g. rlaager at pidgin.im, and maybe a distribution list (but no
archiving) for e.g. board at imfreedom.org.

I had suggested Fastmail. So yeah, I see how I was basically assigning
homework. Sorry!

I looked at Fastmail now and I couldn't find any evidence that they
offer free hosting for open source. They did mention a 20% discount for
non-profits, so not free. Fastmail Standard is $5/user/month
pre-discount, so figuring we have < 10 users, that's in the same
ballpark as Mailgun.

<conflict of interest alert>
I also offered Wiktel doing it for free. We do all these things. I can
set this up in like an hour once the Mailman requirement is gone. Note
that Wiktel's actual price for email is $10/domain/month. For two
domains, that's actually slightly less than Mailgun/Fastmail.

My personal priority order for the email forwarding / distribution lists
would be:

1. Wiktel (because free and I can do the setup work)
</conflict of interest alert>
2. Fastmail (by reputation)
3. Mailgun

But I don't particularly care between #2 and #3. r0bby recommended
Mailgun. I'm sure it'll be great.

 > "Would IMF be willing to pay me for this work?"
or from the original thread:
 > if the board would like to pay me to do this
 > stuff, that would be very cool but of course not expected.

Yes, please, can we just pay Gary to setup Discourse as he proposed?

Gary, how much money do you want for the following statement of work:

1. "roll out Discourse[3] on a DigitalOcean node, import the mailman
users lists into it, and create spaces for Pidgin, Finch, Purple, GNT,
and IMFreedom on it with appropriate threads and stuff to replace our
existing mailing lists."

2. Spend up to 8 hours attempting to import the mbox archives from
Mailman into Discourse, with no care given to preserving URLs.

--
Richard