Adium and the Mac App Store

Evan Schoenberg, M.D. evan at adium.im
Thu Oct 21 00:14:13 EDT 2010

Today, Apple announced the Mac App Store, a managed software distribution mechanism akin to the iOS App Store used on iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad.  As with the iOS app store, for more than one developer to have access to the distribution system, the registration must be done as a Company rather than an Individual account.

The Adium team plans to submit Adium to this new store.  We're still discussing the terms under which we would list it, but this certainly will be inclusive, not exclusive; Adium will of course continue to be available for download in source and binary forms from the adium.im website.

I propose registering that Instant Messaging Freedom, Inc., registers with the Mac App Store, for the express purpose of listing Adium on that store.  The Pidgin Mac OS X port could also potentially be listed through the same account, if the Pidgin team wanted to do so.

Registering as a company appears to be straightforward, though I have not done it previously. (I sell a number of commercial apps on the iOS App Store but am registered as a Sole Proprietor there).  They do state that they take a number of measures to ensure that companies are who they say they are, and that the individual registering does represent that company.

The obligations of IMF for registering would be minimal, and if the board agrees, I would take full responsibility for them insofar as my position on the board allows.  A license agreement, and potentially other related agreements, would need to be electronically signed on behalf of IMF.

If acceptable to the other board members, I can manage registration and accept reasonable agreements as an IMF board member; I would forward such agreements to the board at large for reference.  Alternately, agreements could be sent to the email list for approval by vote prior to signing, though this would be more time consuming for the board.

Cheers,
Evan