Adium, IMF, and the Mac Developer ID

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Wed Feb 29 13:51:55 EST 2012

Luke Schierer spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Presumably there is some sort of agreement to get such a cert.  Can
> you forward that to the list?

Evan, this didn't go to the list.  If it's publicly available at
apple.com, a link is fine as well.

For the record, assuming there are no odious or incompatible terms in
the agreement (which seems unlikely given that Apple is involved, but
we'll see), I have no problem with this.  I do not view signing
binaries to vouch for authenticity as a violation of the GPL -- we
sign our tarballs, after all.  If and when Apple requires *all*
binaries to be signed, their _OS_ may be GPL-incompatible, but we'll
cross that bridge when we come to it.  While Apple is technologically
incompetent in many areas, and dictatorially inclined in many others,
I don't think they're quite stupid or greedy enough to shut out all
GPL software.  For one thing, it would cause problems for their
toolchain.  ;-)

Ethan