Paying Tomasz Wasilczyk for security improvements

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Wed Feb 20 12:19:23 EST 2013

Hi friends!

Someone from Google emailed me, Ethan and Sean a week ago.  They want
to donate $10,000 USD to IMF, which we then pay to Tomasz Wasilczyk
upon completion of some work.  Tomasz was a 2012 Summer of Code
student who worked on the Gadu Gadu protocol plugin.  The work in
question is assorted bug fixes and improvements to "improve the
security of Pidgin/Adium."  The donor didn't specify what, exactly.  I
think his requirements are someone loose.  I have a hunch he would
like to see the master password code finalized and merged.

The company would most likely pay us via a credit card donation
through the Pay Pal account that Ethan and I set up on IMF's behalf
last year.  We believe Pay Pal will charge a commission of 2.2% (or
possibly 1.9%, but I'm not optimistic) plus $0.30 USD for this
donation.  That comes out to $220.30 USD (or $190.30 USD, but I'm not
optimistic).  Because of this, the donor will probably donate a little
extra to cover the fee.  We might still end up covering some of the
difference from our current cash.  This amount should be less than
$300 USD... I'm guessing $30 USD.

PROPOSAL TO BE VOTED ON ONE WEEK FROM RIGHT NOW (I'll send a reminder)
Shall Instant Messaging Freedom, Inc. accept a large one-time
donation, then pay those funds to Tomasz Wasilczyk for assorted bug
fixes and improvements to improve the security of Pidgin and Adium?
And, if needed, shall Instant Messaging Freedom, Inc. make up for the
credit card processing fee by paying some money from our current
funds, of an amount not to exceed $300 USD.