Proposal: Another round of paid work for Tomasz

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Wed Jan 8 12:56:15 EST 2014

Tomasz, Ethan and I have been talking more with Ben, our contact from
Google. They intend to donate 20000 USD to us with the hope of the
money going to Tomasz Wasilczyk for various work on libpurple, Pidgin,
and Adium, with the specific tasks to be decided collectively by us,
the Pidgin developers, the Adium developers, and Tomasz.

I made a Google Doc with an initial set of tasks. It's world-readable
and everyone can add comments (right-click and select 'Comment', or
select Insert-->Comment from the menu bar). Please add suggestions,
corrections, point out problems, etc! Note: Viewing/commenting on the
doc might make your Google account name visible to other people
viewing it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HOLSeBV7Ts336YwKEsg87iC_jhPstzLlNrvnzXzM-DU/edit?usp=sharing

We received 5000 USD at the IMF PayPal account a few hours ago, and I
expect we'll receive the remaining 15000 USD via a check sometime in
the next 3 months. (Smaller amount via PayPal so we can pay Tomasz
quickly, larger amount via Google's standard PO/invoice system, which
is slower but avoids PayPal's transaction fees.)

I have two proposals, with voting to open one week from today (10:00
PST on 2014-01-15).

PROPOSAL #1:
Shall IMF hire Tomasz Wasilczyk now for 5000 USD for work on
libpurple, Pidgin, Finch, and Adium, with the exact work to be decided
by Mark Doliner based on input from Tomasz and from the developers of
libpurple, Pidgin, Finch and Adium.

PROPOSAL #2:
Upon receiving a 15000 USD donation from Google, shall IMF hire Tomasz
Wasilczyk for an additional 15000 USD for work on libpurple, Pidgin,
Finch, and Adium, with the exact work to be decided by Mark Doliner
based on input from Tomasz and from the developers of libpurple,
Pidgin, Finch and Adium.