State of Things

Peter Lawler relwalretep at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 04:21:59 EST 2022

Hi Board,
Per Gary's reply to my regarding an IMF/Apple/Elon Musk joke I made in
Gary's Pidgin Meme Discord channel, I don't believe it's possible for
me to have a reasoned conversation with him and as such I shall
contribute to this by directing my thoughts to the board.

1. I suspect that as no reasonable IT person would confuse a container
tool with an IM tool, such a course of action would be fruitless (see
a number of MacDonald's cases where they've gone up against say home
hardware stores)
2. I'm largely careless about the choices, however I cannot recall if
I've mentioned major free university mirroring before (eg, AARNet) and
whether IMF has applied for such.
3. The possibility of moving to GNOME is an intriguing one. Based on
various comments from other board members over the past few years,
it'd seem that perhaps this may be some goal we're looking towards.
While I do not know whether other software nonprofits are looking to
pick the IMF up, I also do not know whether the IMF board has made any
explicit statement on such a topic. While I agree that Robot101 would
be a great person to help us out, I am conflicted as to the 'public
perception' (for want of a better term) of having IMF's projects
brought under GNOME's umbrella. While GIMP is named for GTK, and all
the accompanying stuff that goes along with it, on one hand I'm not
sure whether folks out there appreciate the distinction but on the
other hand I dunno if they care. While I understand and appreciate
that the whole IMF thing can and is considered by some to be a hassle
to our regular day to day lives, I suspect the underlying issue Gary
is dealing with here is that the wider Free Software Non-Profit
community is unaware of the situation. While I think chatting with
Robot101 would be great, I think it'd also behoove us as board members
to make an explicit statement on such a search as well as making
public other such stuff that will assist in removing this noose around
our neck in preference for others who are regularly paid to take care
of this kind of thing. There seems to be some issue regarding Adium,
however I am currently loathed to talk to that at any extent.
4. I remain beastly careless about the email situation. Whatever is
likely to work, and reduce Gary's time, stress, and cost overheads
works for me. He's done a fantabulous job in keeping things going this
far.

I shall now proceed to reply to any other emails in this thread I feel
I may be able to contribute to.

Regards,

Peter Lawler.