OpenAIM and protocolfreedom

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 18:19:43 EDT 2008

Hey,

I had a phone call with Karen from softwarefreedom.org today, and she
confirmed that the licensing attached to the OpenAIM stuff is not
GPL-compatible, and it's best to leave it ignored. We also talked
about protocolfreedom.org, and whether that could apply to MSN, and
she said that after protocofreedom.org was formed, Microsoft
publically released their documentation for everything covered by it,
mostly obsoleting protocolfreedom.  She said she thought MSN messenger
might be covered and pointed me at
http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/intellectualproperty/protocols/mcpp.mspx

I haven't looked at it yet, but I suspect they may have released docs
for whatever their internal SIP-like thing is called, but not MSN
Messenger (or whatever MSN is called these days)

-s.