I have an idea, does it already exist? anyone interested?

David Smith catfish.man at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 16:48:48 EST 2010

I would find any sentence containing "most people" and "vi" (or even ssh) extremely suspect. Of the five people currently in the house I'm in, for example, I'm the only one even capable of doing that, and I have no reason or desire to. Am I missing something?

As for log format standards, there was a valiant attempt by Adium developers and Pidgin Summer of Code students, but it ended up not getting much/any adoption outside of Adium. I would say things to consider are: searchability, portability, convertibility, quick access to the last N messages (many clients pull the last messages from a chat for context when opening a new chat, and lag there is unacceptable), preservation of message *and* chat metadata, and preservation of attachments (direct IM images for example).

One thing that occurs to me is that storage on most devices is large enough these days that it might be acceptable to store some sort of package file with both a human-readable text representation and a full-metadata database or markup representation of some sort.

	David