stricter postfix settings

Paul Aurich paul at darkrain42.org
Sun Jun 13 15:52:49 EDT 2010

At John's suggestion, I'm bringing this up here.

It would be nice if the pidgin.im mail servers were a bit more
restrictive in what mail they accept.  In particular, my
(darkrain42.org) mail server is routinely rejecting a message or two
coming from bogus domains:

postfix/smtpd: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from rock.pidgin.im[74.63.8.88]:
450 4.1.8 <apache at localhost.localdomain>: Sender address rejected:
Domain not found; from=<apache at localhost.localdomain>
to=<paul at darkrain42.org> proto=ESMTP helo=<rock.pidgin.im>

This is the reject_unknown_sender_domain smtpd_sender_restrictions
option
(http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unknown_sender_domain),
which I think pidgin.im should add :).

There might be other things that could be added (greylisting or pinging
an RBL come to mind), but I don't feel as strongly about those.

Thanks,
~Paul