Spam

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Fri Jun 11 14:30:06 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:27 PM, John Bailey <rekkanoryo at pidgin.im> wrote:
> On 06/10/2010 12:47 PM, Mark Doliner wrote:
>> And we should look into making our mediawiki install more resilient to
>> spam.  Do we require users to be logged in?  Can we?  Should we?  Are
>> there captcha plugins we can use or something?
>
> We should definitely require users to be logged in if we don't already. I
> thought we already had, as I needed to register quite some time ago so I could
> edit pages.  Maybe this has changed with package upgrades and whatnot.  I'd
> definitely like to see something where an e-mail address is required to be
> supplied and verified on mediawiki as well as on trac, as well as any other
> useful but not too invasive anti-spam measures we can get working.

Alright, I:
* Changed /etc/mediawiki/LocalSettings.php so that users must be
logged in to edit
* Changed /etc/mediawiki/LocalSettings.php so that users must have
confirmed their email address to edit
* apt-get installed mediawiki-extensions and "mwenext ConfirmEdit.php"
and "mwenext FancyCaptcha.php"  This requires users to answer a wimpy
little math question when creating a new account.  I kinda thought it
was supposed to have an image captcha.  I didn't configure it at all,
though, so maybe that's why it's showing the math captcha.
* Reverted the 40ish spam revisions since yesterday.  I hate people.

--Mark