bylaw revision

John Bailey rekkanoryo at pidgin.im
Wed Mar 24 12:23:19 EDT 2010

On 03/24/2010 12:06 PM, Aaron @ the CAID wrote:
> If a board conducts meetings using Skype or other IM programs, do the
> bylaws of the organization need to provide for this.  I believe so.
> Currently our bylaws only allow for member to participate in a meeting
> by telephone (see below).  Should there be a section that allows for
> members to participate by IM or online chat features?
>
> Section 13.  *Telephonic Conferences.*  A Director may participate in a
> meeting of Directors by a telephone conference or similar communication
> equipment by which all persons participating in the meeting may hear
> each other if all participants are advised of the communications
> equipment and the names of the participants in the conference are
> divulged to all participants.  Participation in a meeting pursuant to
> this Section constitutes presence in person at the meeting.

I suspect you have mailed the wrong place.  Instant Messaging Freedom, Inc.'s
current bylaws include no such section or text.  All IMF board meetings happen
in a publicly viewable but moderated (i.e. only board members may speak) XMPP
Multi-User Chat (MUC).  The MUC is logged, and this log is posted on IMF's
website (http://imfreedom.org/) as a transcript.  When the secretary is able to
provide minutes of the meeting, those minutes are also posted on IMF's website.

John