bylaw revision

Aaron @ the CAID aaron at thecaid.org
Wed Mar 24 15:37:30 EDT 2010

I understand.  I just found your nonprofit online and was interested in its
mission:  " We're a non-profit organization whose goal is to support free
instant messaging software."  Since we are a nonprofit that uses instant
messaging software to conduct some of our board business, I found this to be
an interesting mission for another nonprofit to have.  That is why I posed
the question for the group.  I thought it should be something for an
organization with such a mission to consider.  I was hoping for a healthy
discussion on the topic.  The bylaws of an organization that supports
instant messaging software should at least include a clause that states one
way or the other if board meetings can be conducted using instant messaging
software.  I sent a message today to our lawyer to see if we should include
such a clause in our bylaws, since we do conduct meetings using such
software. If anything, including such language in the organization's bylaws
would recognize instant messaging software as a valid form of communicating
during a board meeting.

Michigan law (where our nonprofit is incorporated) states that " Unless
otherwise restricted by any provisions of the articles of incorporation or
bylaws, the board of directors may hold a meeting of shareholders or members
conducted solely by means of remote communication."  Isn't instant messaging
a form of remote communication?

Aaron

Aaron Timlin
Contemporary Art Institute of Detroit