Mailman issues

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu Dec 5 01:28:22 EST 2013

Ok, I believe this is fixed now. I'm using this email as a test.

BACKGROUND
Last week (Wednesday or Thursday) I spontaneously decided to try to
change mailman-related links (email footers, links to and from the
pipermail archives, etc) to point to the https versions of pidgin.im
and imfreedom.org instead of http.

I changed DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN and PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL in
/etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py from http to https. This didn't seem to be
quite sufficient. The Internet suggested running this command:
> /usr/lib/mailman/bin/withlist -l -a -r fix_url

That updates the URLs for all mailing lists to use the default values
from the config files. This was correct for our pidgin.im lists, but
was incorrect for our imfreedom.org lists. Sorry.

THE FIX
I ran these commands:
> /usr/lib/mailman/bin/withlist -l -r fix_url board -u imfreedom.org
> /usr/lib/mailman/bin/withlist -l -r fix_url discussion -u imfreedom.org
> /usr/lib/mailman/bin/withlist -l -r fix_url messagestyles -u imfreedom.org
> /usr/lib/mailman/bin/withlist -l -r fix_url openim -u imfreedom.org

I also added this line to /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py:
    add_virtualhost('imfreedom.org', 'imfreedom.org')
I think it's not necessary and I'm not sure where that would help us
(maybe only if we wanted to create a new imfreedom.org mailing list
via a web interface?), but I don't think it hurts us and it should be
more correct.