Paying Tomasz Wasilczyk for security improvements

Evan D. Schoenberg, M.D. evan at adium.im
Wed Feb 20 21:28:24 EST 2013

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Mark Doliner wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM, William Ehlhardt
> <williamehlhardt at gmail.com (mailto:williamehlhardt at gmail.com)> wrote:
> > Forgive my ignorance, but: why is IMF acting as a middleman here at all?
>

> That's a good question. It sounds like for Google it's easier to make
> a donation to us than to pay Tomasz directly. I don't know the
> details. Also maybe having IMF act as a middleman makes it more
> likely that Tomasz will have the greater Pidgin/Adium/libpurple
> community in mind when he makes his changes? Rather than doing
> specific work that benefits only one company.

I don't have a problem with IMF acting as a middleman; I think it's appropriate for a nonrestricted grant type setup.

I don't see why Google would use a credit card to make this donation.  Why not an electronic funds transfer to the IMF checking account (no fees) or a physical check in the mail ($0.46 plus a fraction of a cent for a check)?

-Evan