Change to email voting procedures

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Fri Jan 24 12:46:55 EST 2014

Let's try this a second time. My motivation for this change, by the
way, is that I feel like we should be able to move quickly as an
organization. With the exception of when we're on vacation, I feel
like we all generally check our email regularly. And I feel like our
votes tend to be non-contentious and we don't need to require a long
period of discussion before voting. This cuts down our turnaround time
from 2 weeks to as little as 3 or 4 days.

Here's my proposal, with voting to open 1 week from now (I'll send a reminder):

I move to revise the voting process that we agreed upon in our first
board meeting (the paragraph beginning "The board voted that any
proposal" at https://imfreedom.org/minutes-20070515.php) to the
following:

Our voting procedure is as follows:
- Votes may be held either at a board meeting or by email.
- In either case, the proposal will be considered approved or rejected
immediately upon receiving a majority of votes in favor or opposed,
respectively.
- For votes held at a board meeting, the text of the proposal must be
present in the meeting agenda at least 3 days (72 hours) before the
meeting begins.
- For votes held over email, the text of the proposal must be sent to
the board at imfreedom.org mailing list at least 3 days (72 hours) before
voting begins.
- For votes held at a board meeting, the voting period is opened and
closed by the chairperson.
- For votes held over email, if an opening time was specified in the
proposal then this time is used so long as the time is greater than 3
days (72 hours) after the proposal was sent. Otherwise the voting
period opens 3 days (72 hours) after the proposal was sent. The voting
period closes 7 days (168 hours) after it opens.

This voting procedure shall be used when dealing with the expenditure
of more than a total of 100 USD (either as a one-time cost, or the sum
of recurring expenditures). This voting process may also be used at
other times, as deemed necessary.